All Great Brands Have One Thing In Common: Personal Connection
Throughout December we’ve been talking a lot about branding and since the month is drawing to an end, I thought it would be great to find out what brands my fellow creatives here at Gate6 hold near and dear to their hearts. Initially, as I set about this lovely task, I figured I’d see a lot of similarities across the board, with most people generally gravitating towards the same brands. However, to my surprise, there were only two brands that managed to show up more than once; Apple and Target.
This showed me two things:
As you read I hope you’ll notice the amazing level of intimacy and passion in each person’s voice as they share love for THEIR favorite brands. Each one of the brands mentioned has succeeded in emotionally connecting on some level with a consumer. In my opinion this is the mark of branding success – brand advocates and brand ambassadors.
1. IKEA – Weirdly Swedish, in a good way. From the stacked VW bug to the herd of cats and a blogger living in one of their store sets for a month, they always keep it memorable, without going into the awful Mentos territory.
1.) Ford Motor Co. – Been a Ford man all my life. Love the brand, love the logo, and love the product… (FirstOnRaceDay)
1. Scion – Cause I drive one…they must be awesome!
1. Apple – I can’t think of any other company that has such a cult-like following. Apple has built a brand that feels surreal. People will buy Apple’s products not because they need them, but because if they do, they can belong to the “club”. Apple doesn’t have to put their products on sale to get people to buy them. Their products stay the same price all year round and people buy buy buy.
1. GEICO – Although I’m not a GEICO customer, I love this brand’s playfulness and great use of tongue-in-cheek humor. I think the gecko is brilliant and I love the other spokesperson: “Can GEICO save you 15% or more on car insurance? Well,…do woodchucks really chuck wood?” Awesome and as you can see, I remember it verbatim. I always watch their ads because they’re fun, funny and unexpected.
3. Starbucks – What can I say? Going to Starbucks is always a warm, fuzzy experience for me. In fact, just seeing that familiar green circle on someone’s paper coffee cup makes my mouth water for a toffee nut latte. I love their coffee and the fact that everywhere I go, even in Europe, it always tastes the same. I love their new line of upscale eats – by far and away the best fast breakfast out there. And I really love the brand’s personality. To me, it’s become synonymous with indulgence, comfort and warmth.
1. Levis – How many brands, and even more specifically clothing brands, can say they’ve been the “coolest” or one of the coolest brands during every generation of American culture over the last 135+ years! When your name becomes synonymous with the product you provide, I’d say you’ve achieved success.
What are some your favorite brands and why? Did any of yours make this list? Feel free to comment or leave us an inbox message.
Leave a Reply